The Vasbach is an old mill in the Hundem valley. Its name was derived from the Vasbeke creek. The earliest documentary evidence dates from 1270, and it was the seat of Hundem’s bailiffs (judges). Around 1490, a man by the name of Hans Schmidt, aka Vasbach, operated a steel hammer on the Vasbeke creek. He is considered the oldest known ancestor of the Vasbach family from the Vasbach mill. His son Antonius Vasbach (1500-1590) was a judge in Bilstein and owned the Vasbach mill, the steel forge on the Vasbeke, as well as the Vasbach, Sporke and Glantzen estates. His descendants managed the estate, the existence of which was repeatedly threatened by wars, billeting and adverse incidents. His male descendants succeeded him in the office of judge in Bilstein or were lawyers from the nineteenth century onwards.
The Südsauerlandmuseum is keeper of the Vasbach library, which consists of more than 170 books. The stock originates from the years of 1540 to 1855 and comprises mainly legal literature, religious devotional literature and works of ancient authors.